Expand Your Network / Mentor
Networking on LinkedIn: Advice for Students
College students with LinkedIn Profiles can use the site to build a professional network, see real-time job alerts, be discovered by prospective employers, do research to prepare for interviews, and demonstrate dedication to pursuing a career or making a name for themselves in an industry. Getting started with LinkedIn is easy. Here are some resources to help you get and stay LinkedIn.
- Learning LinkedIn (video course, 2021) takes you step-by-step through setting up a profile.
- Rock Your Profile (webinar) helps you tell your story on LinkedIn. Make sure you have an established profile first.
- Connect with Grinnell Alums on LinkedIn (CLS Essentials Video)
- Find Grinnell Alums on LinkedIn (handout)
- Network within Grinnell College (link to the official GC page on LinkedIn)
- How to Communicate Effectively on LinkedIn (handout)
- Quick tips for building a great student profile (handout)
- LinkedIn: Creating Your Profile (general getting started video)
- Using LinkedIn Effectively (a quick guide to using LinkedIn/video)
- Ready to level up? Read 20 Steps to a Better LinkedIn Profile
Handshake and LinkedIn will tailor your experience based on the information you give them and your interactions with their content. Set yourself up for job search success by giving these sites plenty to work with.
Summer internships are valuable opportunities for college students to gain real-world experience, develop professional skills, and build your network. Here are some ideas to help you get the best out of your summer internship:
Remember, an internship is not only …
Filip Matic ’24 (mathematics, political science, statistics), Mira Manchanda ’25 (mathematics, economics, statistics), Clayton Burton ’23 (economics; science, medicine and society; statistics), and Aryaa Gunavante ‘25 (economics, mathematics) represented Grinnell College at the CFA Institute Research Challenge, a regional student competition in …