Transportation for Service Activities & Community Engaged Classes

While transportation is not guaranteed, there are steps you can take to better ensure transportation for your service experience.

Who can apply for Service Transportation?

In order to qualify for transportation funding and logistical support students must:

  • Be a faculty member teaching a community engaged class, OR
  • Be a current degree-seeking student at Grinnell College; and
    1. Be traveling for a service or community engaged class purpose;
    2. Have met at least ONCE with a CLS adviser – either an exploratory or career community adviser;
    3. Be traveling to a location that is not easily walkable; and 
    4. Be traveling in a group of 2 or more
      • Extenuating circumstances may be considered.  If one person will be traveling alone or the location is nearby, prior approval must be obtained from a member of the CLS Service & Social Innovation staff​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Vehicles used are part of the College’s carpool fleet. The CLS covers charges.

Transportation Options:

Least Flexible​:

Request a professional FM driver 


  • Time for pick up or drop off are not flexible.
  • Destination or pick up location may not change.
  • Drivers may be used for groups of 2 or more volunteers. 
  • If you cancel at the last minute or do not show up, student coordinator is billed for unfulfilled requested time for the driver.
  • Professional drivers are paid for a minimum of 2 hours of work.


Apply for service transportation and support by filling out the  Service Transportation Form above.

Select non-student driver.

carpool clipart

Most Flexible:

Become a certified FM student driver (or faculty drive their own class)


  • Student drivers may be used for groups of 2 or more volunteers.

Student Driver Eligibility: 

  • There are different age restrictions for different distances.
    • Students must be at least 19 years old for trips within the Grinnell city limits and 
    • 20+ years old for trips outside Grinnell. 
  • Drivers must have had a clean US drivers record for the past two years (no moving violations).
  • Drivers must complete a certification process through Facilities Management.


To become a student driver fill out the Grinnell College Driver Application and email a copy to Amy VanManen ( Please cc Ryan Solomon ( so that we have a record of your application. If you need assistance you may either email Amy or call her @ 641-269-3300.

If you are eligible, becoming a certified student driver enables you to:

  1. Drive yourself for SLWS activities;
  2. Be a volunteer driver for your service groups;
  3.  Become a paid driver for the college.

Apply for service transportation and support by filling out the  Service Transportation Form below.

Submit name/s of student driver for the group.


Moderately Flexible​:

Identify certified student drivers


  • Student drivers already a part of the volunteer project will volunteer their time to drive.
  • Students drivers requested to drive outside of their own volunteer project, may be paid through FM, and as approved by CLS
  • Student drivers may be used for groups or 2 or more volunteers. 

Student Driver Eligibility: ​​​​​​​

  • There are age restrictions for distances that a student driver can go.
    • Students must be at least 19 years old for trips within the Grinnell city limits and 20+ years old for trips outside Grinnell.


Request service transportation and support by filling out the  Service Transportation Form above.

Submit name/s of student driver for the group.

What happens if I am late or do not show up without communicating?

  1. If you miss your ride — you pay!  Your account will be charged the full cost of your transportation if you are a no-show.
  2. Misuse of this service might result in not being able to use this service again in the future.

What if I have an Emergency?

  1. We understand that emergencies happen and sometimes rides need to be cancelled.
  2. Emergent circumstances include death, fire, major illness, etc. A paper that needs to be written is not an emergency.  It is a time management issue!
  3. If an emergency arises during business hours contact Amy Van Manen in facilities management at or 641-269-3300 between 8:00am and 5:00pm.  In addition, email the CLS letting her know why you cancelled your ride.
  4. If an emergency arises after business hours please contact Campus Safety to let them know about the situation AND send Amy Van Manen an email (cc’ing the CLS) explaining the circumstances.

Transportation requests must be made at least 5 business days in advance of the date and time transportation is needed.

​​​​​​​(Business days are M-F 8:00am-5:00pm.) 

Apply Now